Tucked within the Sonoran desert lies the hidden oasis known as Scottsdale. A perfect mix of adventure, beauty, and luxury — this town was a welcomed surprise. Between the mountains and the desert terrain, this destination has something for everyone.
Winding in and out of cafes, art galleries, and stopping in for a meal in a local restaurant, it showed just how diverse an experience awaits in Scottsdale. Just a short drive from the heart of town, one could find themselves immersed in the outdoors, filled with famous Saguaro cacti and other vibrant vegetation. The days felt like the perfect balance of culture and adventure.
For your trip to Scottsdale, checkout this long weekend guide:
How to get to Scottsdale:
- With a plenty of direct flights from major U.S airports, getting to Scottsdale is a breeze. Not up for flying? Take a road trip and experience adventure along the way. Once on ground, a rental car is definitely needed to maximize your time, though if you plan on staying in downtown, taxis and by foot are more than adequate to explore.
Where to stay in Scottsdale:
- Luxury is no stranger to Scottsdale. The Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain Resort and Spa is located just minutes from downtown and just 8 miles from the airport. The scenery, grounds, and amenities are superb. Read more on this hotel here. For a more contemporary and eclectically designed stay in the heart of downtown, stay at the Hotel Valley Ho. Each room is feels like a personal art gallery filled with pieces from local artists. Read more on this hotel here.
Where to eat in Scottsdale:
As a foodie, this is one of my favorite parts of travel. Here a few places to add for cafes and restaurants:
- ZuZu Restaurant at Hotel Valley Ho: Delicious eats in a contemporary-style restaurant inside the trendy Hotel Valley Ho.
- The Mission: A Spanish-inspired eatery, where the lunch menu is nothing short of amazing. The table-side guacamole was to die for, and their take on street corn was memorable.
- FnB: You cannot go to Scottsdale without eating at this local restaurant in the heart of downtown where the focus is fresh ingredients.
- Sip Coffee & Beer: Spend all day in this coffee house. Start your day with a latte and end it with a refreshing pint.
- Cartel Coffee Lab: A local favorite. Be sure to try their pour over or a single shot espresso.
- Elements at Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain: A fine-dining restaurant where the blend of elevated cuisine and beautiful views make for a great evening. Chef Beau MacMillan (you many also know him from Iron Chef) has created a menu that is farm fresh and seasonal. Be sure to order the kung pao cauliflower, shishito peppers, and candied bacon.
- Pomo Cucina & Pizzeria: A tasty pizzeria that takes me back to Italy.
- Gertrude's Restaurant: Set next to the Botanical Gardens, this modern American restaurant with artisan flare serves playful cocktails and a wide arrange of plates.
What to experience in Scottsdale:
- Jump into the arts: Scottsdale's art scene is something that cannot be missed, and you can explore many galleries in downtown by foot.
- Take flight over the desert: Wake up with the sun for a hot air balloon ride with Hot Air Expeditions for stunning views over the desert.
- Experience Scottsdale through wine: In downtown, Lawrence Dunham Vineyards has a quaint tasting room, giving you an opportunity to taste local Arizona wines. There are often food pairing classes and more on offer, be sure to check out some unique opportunities. Wine tasting makes for a great way to spend the afternoon before heading to dinner.
- Explore Scottsdale on horseback: Set off into the desert for adventure with Fort McDowell Adventures where you can horseback through the countryside and through rivers.
- Relax at VH Spa: Treat yourself to the Istanbul Hammam Treatment for the ultimate spa experience.
- Sign up for a guided hike: Meander through the McDowell Sonoran Preserve with Arizona Outback Adventures, where you get an informative introduction to Scottsdale's outdoors.
- Be inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright: An opportunity to see his work, and his school, Taliesin West, is an incredible journey into architecture. Be sure to sign up for a guided tour to see the property.
(Click to see more...)
Bon Traveler's Tips:
- Best time of year to travel is during the coolest months, October-May, and the best travel deals can be found during summer.
- A hot air balloon ride is incredible. Opt for sunrise or sunset.
- It's no secret the food options are endless. For prime time seating, be sure to book a table in advance.