I grew up just an hour or so south of Lake Tahoe, and have spent many summer weekends at the lake. I am always drawn to the north shore, as the best hikes and great lake spots are here. The crystal-clear water of the lake is the ultimate place to dip in during the summer heat. The food is good, with low key all-American spots, cooking up homestyle meals. There's something about a drive up to Lake Tahoe that frees your mind for a good weekend getaway.
See where to stay, where to eat, what to do, and the best views in my quick summer guide to Lake Tahoe.
Where to Stay in Lake Tahoe:
- The Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe sets the standard for luxury accommodations in the region, offering an escape nestled in the woods. During the sumer, the hotel offers plenty of activities like games around the resort, hiking trails, and s'mores every night!
Where to eat in Lake Tahoe:
- Get the real-deal burgers at Burger Me in Truckee. It's so good it's worth the drive. (Order sweet potato fries too!)
- Elevated dining finds itself at the Manzanita inside the Ritz Carlton. A meal worth the splurge, and a menu centered around classics with modern technique.
- For a cheap eat, the Char-Pit is your go-to, down and dirty burger spot. Their milkshakes are a hit, too.
- Brunch at: Fire Sign Cafe, Old Post, and Rosies.
What to Do in Lake Tahoe:
- Stand up paddle boarding with Tahoe Adventure Company. If it's your first time, they offer guided tours which is an incredible introduction.
- Hike, hike, hike. Favorite trails: Cascade Creek Falls, Loch Leven Lakes Trail, Donner Lake Trail.
- Bliss out at the Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe Spa. The facilities are stunning, and make for a great way to spend an entire day in an treatment, whirlpools and then by a saltwater pool.
- Chill at the beach. Favorite beaches: Sand Harbor, Speedboat, Kings Beach, Secret Cove, and Skunk Harbor.
- Take a drive around the lake. Be sure to stop for the views in Emerald Bay!
- Rent a boat, and hang out on the water.
Best Views in Lake Tahoe:
- For a hike, Monkey's Rock is the ultimate view over the lake.
- Grab sunset drinks in Incline at the Lone Eagle Grille at the Hyatt Regency. It's on the water, and their cozy fire pits are almost always on.
- The top of NorthStar offer panoramic views for hiking.