Mykonos has been one of my favorite places to date. It's a relaxed island coupled with remote beaches, happening hotels, and a nightlife that rivals Ibiza. The days are spent under the sun, with dips in the cool Aegean Sea and when everyone has caught the sunset at the water, the chora comes to life.
Mykonos is an island that has a bit of something for everyone. It's common to see a couple escaping for their honyemoon, or a group of friends looking for a weekend of fun, and then there's the travelers looking to experience the island for what it is — an adventure-filled experience.
The First-Timer's Guide to Mykonos
Good to Know:
- The island is rather spread out, and can take 45 minutes to an hour to get from one side to another. It is recommended to use a 4x4 to get around.
- Several flights a day land here from Athens, making it uber convenient to arrive.
- Be sure to have cash out before arriving in Mykonos. The local currency is euros and many places only take cash.
- Always a wear a helmet when riding a 4x4.
- Some beaches have "day clubs" where you pay to have a chair. It is worth it if you're looking for a day under the umbrella.
Where to Stay in Mykonos:
- Bill & Coo Hotel: This dreamy, natural toned hotel is chic yet modern. With a poolside bar and incredible cocktails, it's relaxed atmosphere pairs perfectly with the coast.
- Kensho Hotel: A dreamy hotel, where no detail is overlooked. Think whites and browns, with fresh design and a pool that overlooks the sea.
- Boheme Mykonos: The bohemian-inspired hotel is situated overlooking the sea, and right over Mykonos Town. It's simple and uber private, providing an intimate stay in Mykonos.
Where to Eat/Drink in Mykonos:
- Pepper: I eat here at least 3 times while in Mykonos. Probably your cheapest good meal in town, with incredible souvlaki and salads.
- Kiki's Tavern: Dine in the open air, and enjoy fresh grilled fish and other proteins.
- Sea Satin Market: A quiet spot and great for mezedes.
- Cavo Psarou: Head here for lunch at the beach, with an easy menu.
- Nikos: A taverna that is always happening, and good for a variety of fare.
- Koursaros: A spot for fresh fish and seafood linguine.
- Vicola Bar: Head here for sunset drinks.
- Bill & Coo: Catch the sunset here and grab drinks.
What to Do in Mykonos:
- Rent a 4x4: This is one of the best (and most affordable) ways to see the island.
- Take a sunset catamaran: Get on a boat, and enjoy the open sea.
- Explore Mykonos Town: The beautiful white streets of the chora provide endless hours of exploring.
- See the windmills: These are icons of the island, and worth a look.
- Catch sunset: Head down to the water in town, and you'll see the crowds start to gather for sunset. Grab a spot, bring a bottle of wine, and watch the most beautiful sunset.
- Beach hop: There are many beaches, with favorites being Paradise Beach, Psarou Beach, Agios Sostis, Kalafati Beach, and Elia Beach.
- Try a beach club: Set up shop at Nammos for a day of fun and music at the beach.