An idyllic slice of heaven on the southern shores of Sri Lanka, Mirissa is a destination for the ocean lovers. This ultimate guide to Mirissa, Sri Lanka is just a taste of how much there is to do in Sri Lanka. The southern part of Sri Lanka is easy going, with plenty to do on the water. It’s the kind of place you can go barefoot all day and soak in the long days by the Indian Ocean, with the most stunning sunsets in the distance.
If you’re planning on coming to the south, definitely keep a few days to escape here in the quiet town of Mirissa. Between the Weligama and Mirissa Beach run, there’s so much to see and plenty of day trips to nearby as well! With Sri Lanka travel on the rise, there’s never been a better time to visit. Use this travel guide to help plan your trip here!
The Ultimate Guide to Mirissa, Sri Lanka
What to Know Before Visiting Mirissa, Sri Lanka
- It’s a quieter town in comparison to Galle Fort.
- Getting around is easy, with plenty of tuk tuks. (Cash only and always negotiate price before getting in).
- My number one travel tip is to know that cash is best for most restaurants though bigger hotels accept card.
- You’ll want to bring plenty of sunscreen before hand!
- Though you can swim in the water, it’s more of surfer’s paradise.
- Find more of my travel tips before traveling to Sri Lanka here.
Weather in Mirissa, Sri Lanka
On average, the weather in Mirissa Beach is always warm. The months with the highest rainfall are typically in October and November. The warmest month is April and the coolest bein in January. I went in December and found it to be really pleasant with a few showers that past through.
Hotels in Mirissa, Sri Lanka
- Cape Weligama: If you’re looking for luxury hotels in Mirissa, then go no further. Nestled up on the coastline, this hotel is a private retreat based of villas surrounded by palm trees. Cape Weligama is a stunning place to go to and can easily reach the town of Weligama or Mirissa with a tuk tuk. Highly recommend for those looking for a luxurious stay in the area set along the Indian Ocean.
Where to Eat in Mirissa, Sri Lanka
- Little Tuna: Surprisingly good sushi restaurant down a back alley, serving fresh food and vegetarian options.
- Shady Lane Mirissa: The yummiest smoothie bowl and healthy food spot in Mirissa. This place is a gem and could go here once a day!
- No. 1 Dewmini Roti Shop: For those looking for classic roti and curry.
- Beach restaurants on Mirissa Beach: There are many bars and resturants on the beach that serve fresh seafood and good drinks.
- Aloha Coffee Gallery: Come here for coffee.
Things to Do in Mirissa, Sri Lanka
- Surfing: There are plenty of surf in Mirissa and Weligama. If it’s your first time, it’s a great place to go. I’d recommend Elsewhere Surf where you can partake in a surf camp plus get some great video + images of you doing it.
- Enjoy the beaches — Mirissa beach was a favorite. Another highlight is definitely Secret Beach for a few hours.
- Whale watching tours: Most people come to the south to go whale watching and you’ll find plenty of vendors who offer whale watching tours. Though I did not go on one, I had some friends who went with The Whale Watching Club and loved it. *Please note that the seas can be rough.
- Take a day trip to Galle Fort to see the historic fort in Sri Lanka. This guide to Galle Fort is perfect for a day there.
Head here for my two week travel itinerary for Sri Lanka.
(This post was originally published on December 20, 2017 and has been updated with the most recent information.)