From top attractions to incredible day trips, it was easy to find things to do in Taipei. There is no shortage of adventures to be had here. Whether it’s exploring temples or diving into night markets, Taipei is a city you’ll want to book a few days in.
When I was there a few years back, I think what took me by surprise was the incredible food and different districts. The city at night comes to life with night markets and streets filled with amazing food. There’s lush parks throughout and tree-lined streets. The best part about travel here? Their warm welcome and willingness to show you why they are truly the heart of Asia.
Taiwan’s major hub offers an opportunity to the world to dive right into Taiwanese culture.
(Be sure to read the full Taipei Guide here).
Top Things to Do in Taipei
What to Do in Taipei
- Eat your way through Shilin Night Market: A highlight of any trip is definitely the street night markets.
- Hike Elephant Mountain: Take a hike up the mountain to catch sunset over the city. It’s one of the most epic views and every step is worth it.
- Shop down Fujin Street: If you’re looking for incredible boutiques, this is the place to go and there’s great food along the way.
- Take a walk in Daan Forest Park: Looking to get outside? Head here to immerse in nature to get a break from the chaos of the city.
- Experience 1914 Creative Park: A perfect place to take a stroll and explore the up and coming in arts.
- Get dumplings at Din Tai: An institution for putting soup dumplings on the map, it’s one not to miss,
Top Taipei Attractions:
- National Palace Musuem: This museum features a permanent collection of over 700,000 artifacts and pieces of ancient China.
- Shek Memorial Hall: Come stroll the vast memorial and national monument to Chiang Kai-shek, the former President of the Republic of China.
- Taipei 101: If you’re looking for an incredible view over Taipei city, come here for a bite over the city..
- Lungshan Temple: This temple is one not to miss. Its stunning architecture represents the culture brightly.
- Taipei Botanical Garden: A large botanical garden worth a visit for beautiful and lush plants.
- Taipei Main Station: It may be a train station but it is so much more. Come here to get lost in a labyrinth of shops and stores on multiple levels.
Day Trips From Taipei:
Head out to Jiufen on a day tour with My Taiwan Tour. (read my experience here)
Go soak in the hot springs of Beitou.
Take a trip to Tamsui to enjoy a different night market.
Experience aboriginal culture and riverside hot springs in Wulai.
Yangmingshan National Park
Take a trip to Sun Moon Lake (here’s my guide)
Where to Stay in Taipei
There are many hotels to choose from in Taipei. My recommendation would be to start by starring what you want to experience, getting an opportunity to see where most of the things are. From there, you’ll know which district you want to be in. Here are my top two choices for where to stay:
- The W Taipei: A modern hotel with elegance and luxury for those looking for a city escape.
- CHECK Inn: A budget, traveler friendly space and right in the heart of the city.
Other hotels to consider: