It happens every time. I seem to fit my checked bag (this 25 inch one) to a brim each trip. My husband and I laugh because I almost always hit around 38-40 lbs in weight whenever going to Europe. There’s something about traveling through Europe that brings to life outfits, whether it’s a flowing skirt on the Amalfi Coastline, or perhaps a more trendy outfit like boots with a leather jacket in Barcelona.
Europe is one of the places I love to bring multiple options not only for a day of comfortable walking through a city, but also outfits for a date night or even a day at the beach. I’ve found most trips through Europe to have a variety of destinations, whether it’s the city or countryside, and often to the beaches. Suitcases are quite manageable, with Uber on the rise, and many direct train lines and room for a checked bag. (p.s. most international flights allow for one free checked bag, so no charge to pack for the long haul, be sure to check your airline for more details).
This past month I spent two weeks traveling through Barcelona, to Girona, and then through Madrid and on to Lisbon. Traveling with this suitcase, I was able to pack outfits for multiple destinations, and have room for a few purchases. The spring temperatures meant I could pack thinner materials with minimal bulky items, focusing most of the outfits on comfortable and flowy pieces.
Here’s what to pack for spring in Europe:
- 2-3 Jeans (dark blue, black denim, ripped jeans)
- 2 skirts (long flowy for the day and short for dressier evening or day)
- 3 dresses ( easy day dress, one for day to night, and a easily packed one)
- 2 shorts (denim and linen)
- 3-4 basic t-shirts (like this one or this one)
- 3 blouses (love this style, this one is great for evenings, and this one for the day)
- One basic sweater
- A romper for a day at the beach
- One swimsuit (love this two piece and this one piece)
- Easy tops for the day (like this one, or this one)
- Leather jacket (love this black one, or this one)
- One knit sweater (currently traveling with this one and on sale, and love this one)
- Comfortable & stylish sneakers (this pair or these that I’ve been traveling in)
- Espadrilles (these pack easily)
- Booties (one of the most comfortable pairs I travel in)
- Sandals (these for the day and these at night)
- Sunglasses (always travel with these)
- A good sun hat
- A day to night purse (read why this is my go-to)
- Day backpack like this one that packs flat