If there is one great thing happening amidst all of this, it’s the way technology is changing our at-home experience. Though we cannot get on a plane today, dozens of destinations and museums are offering you a ticket to their place from the comfort of your home. It has been incredible that these destinations give you a chance to virtually travel from home.
I know I’m starting to get itchy feet, so as I plan out my bucket list, I’m perusing these places. It has been a quick cure for my wanderlust that kicks in after a day’s work. These virtual tours have been the perfect escape. So whether you’re wanting to see the Northern Lights (yes there’s a live stream for that!) or virtually tour the MET, there is truly something for everyone.
Have a look at 17 places, hotels, and museums you can virtually travel to from home.
19 Unique Destinations, Hotels, and Museums You Can Travel Virtually to From Home
1. The Louvre, Paris — No museum like the Louvre and boy does this one bring comfort to get to tour from home. See more here.
3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art — Tour different exhibits from photographers to collections specifically for kids. See more here.
4. The British Museum — thanks to Google Street View, you can literally tour the museum from home. See exhibits like Buddhist Art in Myanmar to art from Mexico. See more here.
6. The Anne Frank House — One of the must-see museums in Amsterdam is brought to you virtually. Read more about Anne Frank and tour her home. See more here.
7. The London National Gallery — With Google Street view, you can feel like you’re walking through the National Gallery, exploring Renaissance art and more. See more here.
8. NASA — I thought this one was a fun one and had no idea that NASA had virtual tours of their manufacturing buildings and more. See more here.
9. De Young Museum, San Francisco — I’ve always loved this museum in SF, and they’re offering a virtual tour of select exhibits online. See more here.
10. Museé d’Orsay, Paris — Another Parisian classic, you can walk through (virtually) the work of art from French artists. See more here.
Destinations + Experiences
11. Livestream the Northern Lights — I don’t know if there is anything more soothing than seeing the colors of the Northern Lights. A webcam in Manitoba, Canada has set up so you can see the Northern Lights. It’s honestly one of the best things I’ve seen from home in a while. See more here.
12. Walk the Carlsbad Caverns of New Mexico — Ever wanted to see the famous Carlsbad Caverns and watch the bats take flight? This is a family favorite right now. See more here.
13. See a 360-degree view of Bryce Canyon — Google does it again with panoramic views of Bryce Canyon. See more here.
14. Swim through a coral reef in Dry Tortuga — Need to get underwater? This virtual cam by Google makes you feel like you’re right there. See more here.
15. Take a walk down the Great Wall of China — Unbelievable video that brings to life a virtual tour of the Great Wall of China. See more here.
16. Travel through Japan — One place we’re missing is Japan and the Japan National Tourism Organization just came through. Their VR is offering tours of some of the most famous sights like Fushimi Inari, Nara Park, plus other destinations around the country. See more here.
17. Malibu Beach Inn — A few hotels have brilliantly thought of live stream cameras to bring their backyard to you. Well, let’s start with some ocean views in Southern California. See more here.
18. The Inbal Jerusalem — This hotel gives a panoramic view of the city around the clock. See more here.
19. Kauai Marriott Resort — Need to see those tropical beaches with the sound of waves? This webcam in Kauai ought to do the trick. See more here.