One of the most beautiful places in Europe, Annecy is nothing short of a dream. Canals lined with perfectly-manicured flower pots lead to the stunning Lake Annecy, providing endless options summer adventures.
With a history and rich culture centered in the Haute-Savoie region of France, Annecy is idyllic for a summer trip. It’s cobblestone streets and old buildings provide a romantic setting for tasty regional food like raclette and fondue. There’s plenty to do in the nearby mountains or on the lake, making Annecy a destination that truly has it all.
The Summer Guide to Annecy, France
What to Know Before Visiting Annecy, France
- The town is easily reached by train from major cities like Lyon, Paris, and more.
- Once on ground, you can walk to most things if based in Annecy.
- A car would be needed to visit nearby villages, and would be ideal for those wanting to explore the surrounding region more.
- I recommend three to four nights to truly enjoy the lake and surrounding area.
- Summertime is warm and can be busy. To beat the crowds, get up early to explore town and spend afternoons along the lake.
- Euros should be carried for smaller purchases though most vendors accept credit cards.
Where to Stay in Annecy, France
- Les Loges Annecy Vieille Ville: A chic lodge that has chalet-style decorations, located right inside the village.
- Hotel Un Lieu Unique: Modern accommodations that are minimal and chic, right along the canal in Annecy.
Where to Eat in Annecy, France
- Le Freti: This is indeed the best restaurant in Annecy for local raclette and fondue. It can be tough to get a reservation, but often walk-ups at opening will get you a table. We loved it so much we ate here twice.
- L’Auberge de Savoie: A wide range of food, the open space is really nice to have lunch or dinner in.
- Le Bilboquet: A classic French menu, this restaurant is uber cozy and perfect for a relaxed meal.
- La Ciboulette: A modern restaurant, it’s panoramic view over the lake is perfect for enjoying dinner and the sunset.
What to Do in Annecy, France
- Rent bikes and ride around the lake.
- Stroll through town, and the winding canals.
- Take a boat ride around the lake for either an hour or two-hour tour.
- Take a boat to Talloires, walk along the lake and sunbathe near the lake. It’s the perfect thing to do on a hot afternoon — just bring drinks!
- Le Semnoz is around the corner and perfect for those looking to hike in the mountains.
- Rent a paddle boat or motorized boat to enjoy the lake.
- Shop the farmer’s markets which happen periodically though the best one is on Sunday.
- Climb to the top of the hill and tour the Château d’Annecy