If there’s one island I can never get enough of, it’s certainly Santorini. This ultimate guide to Santorini, Greece is just a taste of incredibly beautiful this place is. There’s plenty to do and see or for those who want to bask in the sun, this is the spot to be. The tall cliffs overlook the caldera, creating the ultimate place to escape to in Greece. The warm hospitality, white-washed walls of Oia, and the golden sunsets are highlights of a stay in Santorini.
The Ultimate Guide to Santorini, Greece
Good to know before visiting Santorini
- You can arrive by direct flights from Athens or island ferries.
- The island is very seasonal, for instance, October is windy and hotels start to shut down for the season.
- If based in Oia or Fira, you can easily pass on a car. Parking is often limited in the main towns, so I’d recommend being based centrally.
- With banking, I would arrive with money in hand and pass the lines at the ATM machines.
- 3-4 nights is a great amount of time to enjoy the island. It’s a very peaceful place to just hangout.
- For more things to do in Greece, check out this page.
Where to Stay in Santorini
The debate of whether to stay in Oia or Fira is always a good one. I often suggest splitting the stay to get two different feels as the views are different. Fira tends to be busier with where the cruise ships dock, but there some incredible hotels off the path. Oia tends to be better in terms of scenery and sunsets, but I’ve found the restaurants to be a bit more touristy. You can easily visit either by taxi as well. Here are my favorite hotels in Santorini:
- Katikies Hotel (Oia)
- Grace Santorini (Fira)
- Astra Suites (Fira)
- Mystique Santorini (Oia)
- Kirini Suites (Oia)
Airbnbs in Santorini
One of the most affordable ways to stay in Santorini is through an Airbnb. I’d highly recommend browsing these wonderful options for Airbnbs in Santorini:
What to do in Santorini
- Catch the sunset from Oia overlooking the ocean — it’s a must-do at least once.
- Head out on a boat to sail the Aegean waters.
- Go for a proper hike on the Santorini Cliff Road.
- Visit the local wineries.
- Take the climb out to Skaros Rock.
- Explore Amoudi Bay.
- Take in the views from Oia and get lost along the winding alleys.
- Take a day trip to the black sand beach or the red rock beach.
Where to Eat in Santorini
- Skizma in Oia: Come here to get some incredible baklava.
- Rastoni in Fira: Head here for one heck of a view and incredible black ink pasta.
- Aktaion Taverna in Firostefani: A rustic and traditional Greek taverna in Firostefani.
- 1800 in Oia: Come here for the rooftop views and a drink.
- Naoussa Restaurant in Fira: This place has one incredible view and the fresh seafood is always incredible.
- Katina’s Taverna in Ammoudi Bay: Always packed, it’s some of the freshest seafood and worth the wait.
- More restaurant recommendations for Santorini.